SkillsUSA Nationals Competition
In 2018, over 140 students traveled to Louisville, Kentucky to compete for gold, silver, and bronze medals in the categories of CNC Milling Specialist, CNC Technician, and CNC Turning Specialist. Student competitors represented forty states across the US.
Also in 2018, the Gene Haas Foundation and NIMS partnered to provide multiple awards, scholarships, and learning tools to contestants, totaling over $200,000. Those contributions included:
- A $4,000 scholarship for every gold medalist
- A $3,000 scholarship for every silver medalist
- A $2,000 scholarship for every bronze medalist
- A $500 cash scholarship for every student competitor
- An Acer Iconia Tablet for every student competitor
- A $500 NIMS testing credit for every school with a student competitor
Additional support for the 2018 championship came from Amatrol, The Association for Manufacturing Technology, Boston Centerless, Calculated Industries, CGTech / Vericut, Carl Zeiss Industrial Metrology, Gene Haas Foundation, Haas Automation, HFO Midwest, Immerse2Learn, Industrial Press, Oberg Industries, Sandvik Coromant, The L.S. Starrett Co., The Morris Group, TCI Precision Metals, and the HTEC Teacher Training Center at Vincennes University.