NIMS Apprenticeship Services
The National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS) is prepared to partner and help stakeholders meet and exceed performance expectations. Competency-based apprenticeship is a growing buzzword and trending solution to meet increasing talent needs within companies – but how do you implement it? The NIMS team is equipped with the subject matter expertise to support industry leaders in the following ways:
I. Workshop and Training Support
NIMS can provide subject matter expertise in partnership with employers involved and/or interested in the apprenticeship program. NIMS will send at least one team member to support on the following activities:
- Building an apprenticeship training program
- Implementation and framework for the apprenticeship model
- Definition of the apprenticeship model
- Customization of the training for individual companies
- Guidance regarding any necessary paperwork
- Understanding NIMS skills standards and credentials
- Receiving a working knowledge to credential employees
- Opportunity to earn up to eleven (11) NIMS credentials. This includes:
- Blueprint reading and manual/CNC parts manufacturing
- Critical work activities for CNC machine operations
- Quality inspection
- Related theory testing
- On-the-job training
- Implementing testing procedures and policies within existing training programs.
- Developing in-house OJT expertise
- Training Methodology - Show-Do-Tell Training Cycle
- Coaching - Roles, Rules, Coaching & Feedback
- Communication - Process, Barriers, Skills, Questioning Techniques
- Adult Learning Styles - Principles, Guidelines, Learning Styles
- Peer-To-Peer Participant Training Demonstrations
- Online Theory Examination
This is intended to be a five-day workshop. The model is customizable and flexible to support industry needs.
II. Consultation Services
Customized support with NIMS experts to ensure that training programs are maximizing the full potential of NIMS programs.
- Identify tools for running an effective competency-based machinist training program.
- Assist with training design or review to ensure alignment with credentials
- Understanding NIMS Skill Standards and curriculum alignment methods.
- Receiving a working knowledge to credential trainees.
- Review testing procedures and policies