To keep pace with industry’s changing needs, NIMS has developed a Smart Standards methodology to properly train employees in a world where technology emerges and changes faster than an average individual can master in their career span. Smart Standards enable communities to define their specific job roles from a collection of industry-recognized Job Duties. These Duties are translated into hands-on performance that aligns to the needs of the stakeholder community.
What are the Benefits of Smart Standards?
- Easy to interpret
- Allows for a shift toward true competency-based training
- Easy customization while maintaining standardization
- Ideal for adding or revising duties to keep pace with emerging technologies
- Organizes training into short-term tracks that is stackable onto a masterful career
Developing the Standards
The national standards are developed and validated by industry professionals representing a spectrum of sectors. The development process includes a series of national review sessions and interviews with employers and employees across industry sectors to document and validate the basic requirements for the majority of skilled positions within the industry.
Basis for Validating Performance
NIMS standards serve as the basis for training. NIMS offers competency-based credentials to validate performance.
Classic standards are available upon request for these areas:
- Machine Maintenance, Service & Repair
- Press Brake
- Punch Press
- Screw Machining
- Slide Forming