Machining Workshop Instructor
The Machining Workshop Instructor provides full service and on-site facilitation of five-day Machining Instructor Training Workshops. Workshop instructors must establish an intimate knowledge of NIMS Level I Machining standards and credentials, and the workshop curriculum, presentation, materials, and hands-on activities. Instructors will closely engage with workshops hosts and attendees prior to, during, and following workshops.
Training requires three steps:
- Instructor candidates will attend one live workshop. Candidates will participate in all activities, as would a regular attendee.
- Instructor candidates will receive one-day training from a NIMS representative.
- Instructor candidates will attend one live workshop to shadow an existing instructor.
Training and Services Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop intimate knowledge of and expertise in NIMS Machining Level I standards and credentials
- Review and comprehend latest Machining Level I standards document to understand industry-set expectations for eleven categories of manual and CNC machining skills
- Review and develop a comprehensive understanding of all eleven Level I Machining credentials performance assessments (prints and CARs)
- Review all eleven Level I Machining credentials theory assessments
- Develop intimate knowledge of and expertise in Level I Machining workshop curriculum and credentialing procedures
- Review existing workshop curriculum and develop thorough familiarity to present all materials without assistance; this includes but is not limited to:
- Performance assessments: prints and CARs
- Study guides and other Reference materials
- Establish an proficiency in NIMS credentialing procedures (registration, performance assessments, theory assessments)
- Oversee completion of performance assessments (prints and CARs)
- Proctor online theory testing via NIMS website
Facilitate Machining workshops
- Prior to workshop date:
- Engage with host to ensure workshop facilities are adequate for instructional and handson activities, and online credential tests; this may require an on-site visit one day prior to the workshop start date
- Book travel arrangements and document expenses in accord with NIMS contractor travel policy
- During the workshop:
- Lead all theoretical and performance training activities o Oversee all credentialing activities
- After the workshop:
- Remain available to workshop hosts and attendees for inquiries regarding technical, implementation of NIMS standards and credentials
Fulfill ongoing training requirements as set forth by NIMS
- Attend annual instructor training meeting at the NIMS office
- Attend additional training meetings as scheduled by the NIMS office
- Assist NIMS with development and/or modification of curriculum and associated materials
- Minimum five years as a precision machining instructor in a secondary or post-secondary training program (required)
- Minimum five years industry experience in manual machining (required)
- Minimum five years industry experience in CNC machining (required)
- Minimum A.A. or A.S. degree (required)
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Workshops occur year round and on demand. Long distance travel may be required. Hours may include evenings and weekends. Third shift hours may be required on rare occasion.
Working locations may include college or high school machine shops and professional precision manufacturing settings, and may include long periods of standing. Instructors will interact with educators and school administrators, and professional machinists.
Status and Requirements
All workshop instructors are independent contractors. Employment terms and compensation are negotiable and documented in an annual Independent Contractor Agreement. Workshop instructors must sign a Confidentiality and Non-Solicitation Agreement.
Please fill out this application form, which includes an upload area to add your resume. If you do not have a Google account, which is required to fill out our form, please contact Cathy Metcalf (email@example.com) and Cathy will be able to accept your information in an alternative format.